At Dhiverse we believe it’s important for all young people to be offered relationships and sex education in ways that reflect how young people prefer to learn, and equip them with the skills, knowledge and information they need to navigate and make decisions around relationships and sex in the 21st century.
From September 2020 Relationship Education (RE) was set to become compulsory in England’s state primary schools, and Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) compulsory in secondary schools. However due to the coronavirus pandemic the Department for Education (DfE) has allowed schools to postpone teaching these topics until summer 2021. We fully support that schools have been given more time to go through the steps they need to implement and deliver RE and RSE in a meaningful way, but we really hope that, given how long it’s taken to get RSE on the curriculum properly, the drive isn’t lost and that the deadline isn’t extended further.
Using our experience, knowledge and understanding gained from providing RSE to Cambridgeshire schools for the last 25+ years, we’ve spent the last year designing, developing and further refining, a full Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) Curriculum Package for Schools. We have also developed a Professionals Training Package for school staff and other professionals which includes how to communicate around sex and relationships.
We believe that our RSE Curriculum Package is one of the best you will find, with lots of very forward thinking and unique content. Many of our lessons have innovative activities that aim to equip and inform young people in a fun and relevant way.
The curriculum has been designed in line with DfE guidelines and has the support and approval of Cambridgeshire’s PSHE team.
We know that developing RSE content isn’t easy. The responsibility to ensure that content is always age appropriate, the correct terminology, statistics and information are included and being able to respond accurately to questions around sexual health, consent, the anatomy and much more can be both challenging and time consuming.
Schools can purchase our curriculum in the knowledge that it meets all of the above. It can be purchased as a full package, by Year Group, or by lesson plan. Schools can also book a Dhiverse RSE Facilitator to deliver lessons in schools (please see the RSE Workshops link).
A glimpse into our lesson plans
A few examples of what we mean when we say that many of our lessons are unique, innovative and forward thinking (and excellent value for money):
- ‘Communication’ – includes a really fun dice game!
- ‘Puberty’ – students make their own‘puberty survival kit’ – young people who helped design it and tested it said it was ‘awesome’!
- Staying Safe Online’ – students write their own guide to the Internet.
- ‘Breaking up and Making up’ – students analyse relationship case studies
- Please note: We are offering this lesson as a FREE taster lesson. The aim is to give you the opportunity to try one of our lessons before buying others. If you would like a FREE copy of this lesson, please email Louisa@dhiverse.org.uk.
- ‘Romance under the microscope’ – deeper and more interesting than an average healthy relationships lesson – students consider societal pressures on relationships
- ‘Online and long distance relationships’ – one of the young people who was involved in the development of our curriculum said that this lesson was ‘really cool’. It’s a lesson that challenges teachers (in a good way!) as well as students.
- ‘Body image’ – we think you’ll agree that this is a unique lesson, aimed to inspire students. It involves a walking art gallery!
- ‘Analysing risk’ – a fun lesson which encourages problem solving in the real world.
- ‘Sexual aftercare’ – a really unique and really important topic for a young person’s life long physical and emotional health.
RSE Curriculum Information and Forms to download
- RSE External Agency Statement
- RSE Curriculum Menu and Pricing for 2021-22
- Lesson Plan Topics by Year Group (Years 7-11)
- Year 7 Lesson Plans Booklet
- Year 8 Lesson Plans Booklet
- Year 9 Lesson Plans Booklet
- Year 10 Lesson Plans Booklet
- Year 11 Lesson Plans Booklet
- RSE Curriculum Order Form
- RSE Workshops Booking Form
- Training for Teachers and Other Professionals 2021-22
If you’d like to speak to someone before purchasing anything or if you’d just like to know more about the curriculum please email us at email@example.com or call 01223 508805 to book a call back.
Dhiverse would like to take this opportunity to give special thanks and appreciation to all the great people who were involved in the scoping, design, development and testing out of this excellent package:
- Meg Veit – Dhiverse RSE Specialist
- Louisa Perry – Dhiverse RSE Curriculum Coordinator
- Natasha Amps – Dhiverse SLIP Programme Manager
- Annie May Gibbs – Public Health
- Luke Spindler – University Student
- Clare Gockel – Dhiverse ABC Project Facilitator
- Anna Kendrew – Dhiverse ABC Project Facilitator
- Rosie Childs – Dhiverse ABC Project Assistant
- Melanie Sanderson – Student Welfare Officer
- Cathy Murphy – Cambridgeshire PSHE Team, Lead Advisor
- Rowan Moore – Teacher
- All the young people were involved in this project
Other RSE related Programmes
- The ABC Project – for anyone with a learning difficulty or autism.
- The SLIP Programme – for young people age 9 to age 18 years, who find it difficult to engage in RSE in school due to e.g. behavioural issues, family situation.
- Sex & Relationship Topic Sheets for Students & Parents during COVID 19 and beyond! We have developed a number of topic sheets and accompanying support notes for parents/ guardians/ teachers. These are free to download and cover a number of important RSE topics including body image, healthy relationships and online safety.