Being HIV positive can be a very challenging situation to accept and deal with. As well as learning to live with the fact you have long term condition, it can be difficult to tell people, including people you have had sex with (who should know) about the illness, due to the stigma which still surrounds HIV.

Whilst it is now possible to live a healthy normal life, many HIV positive people find that they need some level of emotional or psychological support to help them manage this. This may be at the point of diagnosis or further down the line when they hit a difficult situation relating to their HIV e.g. disclosure, medication, relationships, sex, employment, feelings of isolation & depression.

For some people, counselling with a professional counsellor is the most suitable and preferred method of support. The counsellor will work with you over an agreed number of sessions to help you to understand the difficulties you’re facing. Our counsellor, Lisa Helm-Cowley, is trained to understand the issues faced by people living with HIV. We are also able to offer couples counselling whether one or both partners are HIV positive. Each counselling session is approximately 50 minutes and by appointment only.

The DHIVERSE counselling service is FREE, although we do ask for a donation from anyone who is in full time employment and whose circumstances allow, as this enables us to support more people.

PLEASE NOTE: Clients who miss appointments without 24 hours’ notice will be charged £45 for the session.

Appointments are available in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, generally between 10am and 5pm, however a limited amount of evening and Saturday appointments are available but you may need to wait for these appointments.

To make a third party or self-referral please complete the referral form click here. Please note we are unable to assess need or make an appointment without a referral form.


For an informal chat and to find out if you meet the criteria to access the service please contact Lisa on 07983 150429 or at If you need counselling but don’t want to use the DHIVERSE counselling service you could ask your GP or consultant to refer you for free counselling which is available through the NHS or you could pay to see a counsellor privately. BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy) is a good way to find someone who is registered and accredited and who specializes in the type of support you are looking for: visit

Lisa Helm-Cowley

HIV and Sexual Health Counsellor

07983 150429