Get the most of your appointment
Regular check-ups with your HIV team are an important way to ensure your HIV is under control. You will see a variety of staff during your check-ups including reception staff, nurses and consultants.
It’s important to remember that these appointments are for you, and that you have the right to get the best out of them. The last thing you need is to leave your appointment feeling you have not got what you want from it. Therefore, getting the most of your clinic appointment is very important and can take preparation, time and confidence.
Here are some useful tips:
- Work with all the staff you see. HIV nurses have a lot of skills and knowledge, and will more than likely be able to answer any questions you would like to ask your consultant.
- Spend some time before your appointment thinking of the questions you would like to ask.
- Write your questions down and take them with you to your appointment. How many times have you been to an appointment and left without asking the questions you wanted to? Not only will you have your questions answered, but you will save time as you won’t have to think of them on the spot.
- Remember that HIV services are confidential and your notes are not linked to your main hospital records. Being honest with your HIV team will ensure they can give you the most appropriate care and attention.
- Be assertive and confident. Many people feel they are rushed during their appointments. Remember, it is your appointment and you are allowed to ask questions about your HIV care.
- Use DHIVERSE services and staff to help you get the most of your appointments.